More about Medway Maritime Hospital.
Medway Maritime Hospital has had a very exciting history. Plans were drawn up in 1939 for an underground operating theatre at the hospital. It was to be connected to the main building by a sloping corridor between Blocks A and B, with a series of rooms and an Operating Theatre under part of where is now the central car park. "It is unclear if any of this was actually built though". In the Windmill Road/York Avenue corner of the Hospital grounds used to be a small cemetery. Some of the patients who died in the Isolation hospital were buried here. Today no signs of the graves remain. The Hospital security used to be very strict and prior to the change over to the NHS visitors had to ring the bell on the gate, then the security had to phone the Ward concerned to see if they had permission, if permission was granted the visitor was escorted to the ward. In 1961 the hospital was handed over to Medway Health Authority. After buildings and facilities were modernised the hospital opened again in 1965 as "Medway Hospital".
Since then notable events at the hospital have been:
The creation of a new orthopaedic block and accident and emergency centre in 1970.
A new extension for elderly and mental health services (A Block) in 1990.
A new £60 million development which saw the hospital double in size in 1999 when services provided at neighbouring hospitals in Rochester (St Bartholomew's) and Chatham (All Saints') were brought under the umbrella of Medway Hospital.
The hospital changed its name in 1999 to its new name "Medway Maritime Hospital" which reflects the hospital's proud naval tradition.
Looking to contact the hospital?
Address: Windmill Road, Gillingham, Kent, ME7 5NY
Tel: 01634 830 000
Departments and services
Lung cancer and mesothelioma
Macmillan Cancer Care Unit
Oliver Fisher Special Care Baby Unit